Sunday, July 13, 2008

1/3 Mile Swim, 17 Mile Bike, 3 Mile Run...Done!

After my first "baby" triathlon back in May, I decided I would train for a "sprint" triathlon. On Friday when we got to Meridian to get our race packets, I thought...why did I say I wanted to do this...I was a nervous wreck (to say the least)!

But...Saturday morning came, and I raced! I finished within my "goal" time and I guess you could say enjoyed the race. The swim was great, the bike was terrible...the hills were unbelievable...the last hill I climbed, I really thought I was going to cry...but...I kept pushing and made it up the hill and all was well. Then I started the run, which I usually love...however, I was struggling...I finally "almost" caught up to Matt. I could see Matt for 1/2 mile or so and really wanted to catch up to him to help me finish up because like I said, I was struggling. Finally when a guy ran by me, I said, "will you tell that guy in the blue shirt his wife really needs him"? The guy laughed at me and said ok...I'll tell him. Of course by this time, I had almost caught Matt, and he like...I'm not slowing down...you are going to blow right by me. He then realized all I wanted was to walk through the water stop and finish with him...and it was such a joy for me to finish with him...I would not be running, biking, or swimming without his support and help with Anna Lauren...we are in this together for sure!

Matt and I finishing the race ...

This is Kristi finishing the race...she is not only a dear friend but an outstanding athlete. We had such a good time staying with the Voss' in Meridian. They have a beautiful new house, and we love their family so much. So...it was a good weekend to spend some time with them as well as race together.

Eugene, Matt, and Mandi after the race...

The Buddies...Jennifer cheered her heart out for all of us as well as took pictures. Eugene had a great race and got 2nd in his age group...way to go, Eugene!


4 comments:

The O'Donnells said...

WAY TO GO MANDI!!!! and matt too :) but this was a HUGE jump from soak up the sun!

Carrie said...

Hey matt-this is Carrie Miley (your old friend from college and old pharmacist). saw your blog on the bond's blog. anyway, just wanted to say wow-i had no idea yall were so athletic. you inspire me. and anna lauren is precious--she looks just like you, matt!

Kristi Voss said...

I am very proud of you Mandi! We enjoyed you and Matt. Next time Anna lauren has got to come.

Binksters said...

You go girl!! Wow I am impressed! Hope you are well. I have a new blog but it is restricted and I have your old citizens bank email. Send me your new one!

amber