Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Update on Baby Cooper...

First of all, words cannot express how much Matt and I appreciate all the many prayers, phone calls, texts, and e-mails over the past week as we experienced some not so "perfect" news regarding our precious little boy, Cooper. There is no way we could have made it through this past week without the prayers and support of our family and friends.

Today we had an appointment with Dr. Jennifer Shores, pediatric cardiologist, and we walked away with much better news than we expected. Cooper does not have an intermittent heartblock...he has an atrial biseminy (dummy terms: irregular heart beat). Dr. Shores is 90% sure this can be treated by medicine, and Cooper will not need a pacemaker after he arrives. I started taking medicine today, which will slow my heart rate down and in turn, slow Cooper's heart rate down so hopefully it can get a consistent beat. She anticipates it to be much better if not regulated when I see Dr. Perry next Friday, July 9th. If it is not better, we will change my daily dosage and then hopefully it will be corrected by July 29th, when I return to see Dr. Shores.

We are anticipating the medicine, which I will take the remainder of my pregnancy, to correct the problem and allow me to have a normal delivery at the hospital of my choice, Woman's, with the doctor of my choice, Dr. Cole. The only reason I would not be able to have a "normal" situation for delivery would be if the medicine does not correct the problem. Then I would need to deliver at UMC so Cooper could be at the Children's Hospital.

After Cooper arrives, he will most likely have to take the medicine that I am currently taking for 6 months to 1 year. Dr. Shores anticipates he will outgrow the problem and be just fine after that period of time.

So needless to say, we could not have asked for better news today...we walked away today with tears of relief rather than tears of fear. Our God is GOOD, and we know he has been listening to all of your prayers...keep them coming!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! So glad to hear the wonderful news. We will keep sweet Cooper in our prayers.

brandy and bear said...

That's wonderful news, Mandi!

Mandy said...

Congratulations on having a little boy and I am so thankful you received good news!