Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Mother's Day Surprise...

My mother is the least "demanding" parent I know...she never demands our time, ask us to do very little for her, and never ever says a word about the holidays...although I know she enjoys having us with her, if we are not there, she is very understanding and never says anything that would make us feel guilty.  Now with this being said, I tend to not do the little "special" things for her that I know she deserves because I know she will say..."it is no big deal...I understand".  But this year has been a challenging one for her, and I knew she could use a "special" day so my brothers and I worked up a surprise Mother's Day lunch.  To make sure she would be at home, Joey told her he was coming by, but she had no clue the rest of us were coming.

We all showed up at her house with a new grill, which she needed, and grilled steaks (one of her favorites).  After lunch, we headed to the nursing home to see our Nanny...one reason my mom's year has been challenging...no one wants their parent to be in the nursing home.  Hopefully it will not be forever, but we are just not sure...Nanny is not liking the idea of going home with a sitter...she wants to go home by herself.  And reality is...that may not be an option.

And because there were so many of us at the nursing home, we managed to spend some time outside on the patio before the rain...this was a good option with all the kiddos...but oh how Nanny LOVES seeing her great-grandkids...she got to see 6 of the 13 today! 


Our Nanny...I know...she doesn't look like a nursing home patient does she?


Anna Lauren does NOT like the hospital...but...she does great at the nursing home and even ask to go see Nanny.


Bently, Anna Lauren, and Nanny...and yes, the girls got in Nanna's jewelry before we went to the nursing home.


Reid, Coooper, Bently, Nanny, Anna Lauren, Jake, and Ashton...


Ashton, Reid, Cooper, Jake, Bently, Nanny, Anna Lauren, and Nanna...


Nanna and Nanny...


And this sweet lady...this is Grandmother.  Grandmother is the grandmother to my 1st cousins, and she has always been like another grandmother to me.  My mom's brother married her daughter (Aunt Pam and Uncle Terry).  She and Nanny are having a good time together!  And Anna Lauren didn't want her to be left out so she pushed her to the patio so she could visit with us...


She had just as much fun as Nanny visiting with all of us!

No comments: