Saturday, April 16, 2016

March Opportunities...

At the beginning of the year, I thought it would be no big deal to take one student to lunch and have one student at our house for dinner each month.  But...when you put work, school, soccer, baseball, and cheer on your calendar it quickly becomes challenging to fit something else into the schedule (as sad as that sounds).  All that to say, I did not do very good in March and now April is half way over and the Millsaps students are quickly out the door for summer.  This is still a "goal" of mine, and I am going to try to do better/quit making so many excuses.  I am aware that we find time for what we want to find time for, and I really do have a desire to find time for others...still just figuring it all out.  I did do a little in March...just not exactly what I had in mind.


Kala celebrated her birthday on March 15th so I picked up her favorite candy from Wal-Mart, added a little ribbon, and just like that had a birthday happy for her.  She smiled from ear to ear when she came by my office to get it...it may not seem like much, but a $3 happy really can brighten someone's day.


When I originally came up with this plan, I was going to take "new" kids to lunch each month.  Well, I have found it is hard not to take the kids I already know...because...they regularly come by and see me, tell me about their life, etc.  They already know me and will open up and talk to me.  Kim and I actually had a really good conversation at lunch, and I was glad I took her that day because I could tell she wanted to talk about some things/some struggles.

Keeping my eyes open for opportunities...have a couple things in mind for April...we'll see what actually happens.

No comments: