Saturday, January 20, 2018

Basketball...

Today Cooper said "Mommy, what is your favorite sport to watch me play?"  I told him I like watching him play every sport he plays.  I always thought I would like one over the other, but honestly, I just like watching him play them all.  Every time he steps on a field or court, he gives it his all.  NEVER do we have to tell him to focus, play harder, hustle, etc.  Whether he does something great or not, I just want him to do his best and have fun while playing...and that, he does!!!


The introduction at the beginning of each game is so fun for the boys...



Along with saying their name, they say a nickname...



Cooper "defense machine" Calvert...




I love his excitement at the beginning of each game...he is always introduced first, and he high fives everyone as they run out.  


He really is a great defensive player so typically Matt has him guard one of their best players if not the best player.  Today, he stepped it up and guarded a really athletic little kid.  At times he got frustrated, but he never gave up...


Yes, I pick my battles.  I know he looks like a clown from the waist down, but it is what it is.  We tell him people are going to make fun of him, and he says...so!!!


I can promise you the floor is clean when Cooper leaves the gym...he is going to go after every single loose ball.  Like I said, we never have to encourage him to hustle.


This game was a bit intense for me...these two gave each other a run for their money.  At one point #12s dad yelled, that is two fouls...get him out of there.  At this age they don't keep up with fouls, and I'm pretty sure if they did, it would be five fouls.  But whatever, the ref said to Cooper...watch your pushing.  And the ref said to #12, quit the elbowing.  It for sure went both ways.  At the end of the day, they are 7 years old...why does it have to get so ugly and not to mention we are at church league basketball?



He could use a little work on his dribbling...at home, he does great.  However, in the games, he dribbles so high sometimes.  


And we are all yelling...SHOOT THE BALL, COOPER!!!  Like I said, he likes defense and 9 times out of 10 he will look for someone to pass it to rather than shoot.


And then there was the moving pick being set...ha ha!!!



Feet in the air giving it all he had...


From time to time, #12 would get by him...not because Cooper didn't try.  




He actually dribbled and took it the goal a little more today...






I think Cooper was as relieved as me when they switched, and he got to guard someone else as well as someone else guard him.



Not sure what this face is all about, but we sure are enjoying basketball season.  We have a great coach/assistant coach (Matt), an awesome little team, and the best group of parents.  Looking forward to our last two games!!!

1 comment:

The Hensons said...

moving screen being set by a giant....dang! i wonder who got all the rebounds!! somebody better check his birth certificate!