Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Mississippi Blues Half Marathon...

I twisted Matt's arm into a half marathon by telling him that he had worked way too hard this past spring/summer and then throughout football season to just take a break until time to get ready for football season again.  I thought marathon training would keep us motivated/running through the winter as well as help us keep off some holiday pounds because it's no secret we both LOVE to eat!!!  The thought of 13.1 miles is not near as exciting to him as it is to me, but he agreed.  We used a 10 week training plan, stayed really disciplined, and honestly, it was so much fun for both of us.  As a matter of fact, I think we are both really sad it's over and trying to figure out what to do next.


On Friday we picked up our race packets...this is the point that I always get nervous.  I start wondering...what is the weather going to do? what is my body going to do? what if I get a blister? what if I get sick?  And so on...


Considering many of our long runs were below 40 degrees and even some snow and ice, we were thrilled to wake up to 55 degrees on race day.  However, 90% to 100% chance of rain was a little disappointing.


We had trained too hard to let anything stop us.  We threw on our ponchos and headed to the start line...


Needless to say we were not the only ones at the start line in our ponchos...


It was a steady rain the entire time, but it was never just a downpour.  We actually wore our ponchos the entire time, which helped our clothes stay dry.  Our socks/shoes were wet, but we were never cold/miserable...thank goodness!!!

We were happy to see my co-worker, Helen, around mile 7 and then Matt's referee, Art, around mile 12.  Always fun when someone comes out to see you on the course...


We can now mark running 13.1 miles in the rain off our bucket list...ha ha!!!  We had a great race, we felt great the entire time, and surprisingly, Matt even told me the day after that maybe just maybe he could do a full marathon with me...what????  I'm a bit excited about that even if he hasn't committed...

No comments: