Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sam's Week of Awards...

 I tell Sam all the time that I will do as much or as little as she wants me to do...she just has to tell me what she wants/needs.  Well, they week of April 27th she asked me to do "everything" with her, and I was honored to be her "momma" that week as I watched her get award after award...
 
 
 
We started the week at the senior athlete award ceremony...
 

 
 
Little did she know...she would receive the 2015 Lamb Award.
 


They had a slide show of all the athletes...from baby to college...




Oh how we will miss watching her play...


Senior basketball players...





Receiving the Lamb award!  When she sat back down, she said...I said as a freshman this is the award I wanted.  It is about you as a "person" not just as an "athlete".  I couldn't have been more proud of her or thought of someone more deserving!


We have loved being a part of the women's basketball team this year and although our favorite may be leaving, we will still love watching these other girls play!  Such a great group of ladies!


They may think he is crazy, but I can tell you one thing...this man is one proud coach of these young ladies and will for sure miss them!


Doesn't get much better than these five when it comes to athletics...proud of all of them!

 
She may not be "my" child, but I love her like she is one of my own, and I couldn't be more proud of her!
 

On Wednesday, we switched gears to academics...

 
 
This day Sam received the Gordon Allport award...
 

Receiving her award...

 

All the psychology award winners...
 

Wednesday night we headed to the Hall of Fame and Who's Who Ceremony...

 

Millsaps College could not have a better President...so thankful to work under the leadership of Rob Pearigen!


This may have been my most favorite ceremony of the week...it was outside in the plaza and the weather was just perfect!





When you are selected as Who's Who, someone on campus writes a quote about you.  That quote is read at the ceremony...here is she listening to her quote, which could not have been written better.

Quote:
If you look up the word "determined" chances are you will see a photograph of Samantha Perez.  From the day I met Sam, almost 4 years ago, I recognized how motivated and capable she was.  In the classroom, on the hardwood, or just in a friendly conversation Sam's intelligence and caring nature shines through.  She serves as a prime example of how students can do everything they want to do at Millsaps and be wildly successful.  I consider Sam not a student, but a dear friend.  And I might even miss her more than Coach Wink will.  Kurt Thaw, Psychology Professor


Yes, we were a little (or maybe a lot) disappointed that she didn't receive Hall of Fame...but...she is for sure "Hall of Fame" in my book!  However, we should not be disappointed...she ended her time with some very special awards that were well deserved and that she should make her very proud of what she accomplished in her four years at Millsaps.

No comments: